Benefits of Detoxing
Detoxification is a natural metabolic process whereby the environmental and dietary toxins we are exposed to are changed into less harmful substances, and subsequently excreted from the body. The Metagenics Detoxification Program aims to address dietary and lifestyle factors to reduce the burden placed on your detoxification system, while simultaneously supporting the capacity of your key detox organs. The ultimate goal of a professional detoxification program is to provide you with a personalised protocol that is safe and effective, and enables you to achieve the best possible health.
Reducing the Toxic Load
Reducing the toxic burden with dietary and lifestyle modification is fundamental to detoxification. Improving gut barrier function is another way to limit dietary toxins reaching organs like the liver and kidney. Areas of toxic load to consider:
Diet and lifestyle (recreational, medicinal, environmental and occupational).
Endogenous (hormonal, metabolic, infectious).
Gastrointestinal (dysbiosis, microbiome, digestion, elimination, gut integrity).
Your Practitioner will select one of the following detoxification
programs, tailored to your individual health needs:
Express Detox Program:
The Express Detox may be recommended for individuals
who are simply aiming to optimise their current state of
good health and do not suffer from digestive or chronic
health concerns. This short two week detox may be
appropriate for those who are essentially well, but who
have recently overindulged.
Integrated Detox Program:
A four week program suitable for most patients to improve
their digestive health, liver function and overall health
and wellbeing. This program is appropriate for those with
general digestive or health imbalances and may aid in
supporting healthy intestinal microbial balance.
Specialised Gut Detox:
An extended six week detoxification program ideal for those
who suffer from chronic or extensive digestive symptoms,
or experience digestive conditions and imbalances in gut
flora that negatively impact on health and wellbeing.
Specialised Liver Detox:
An extended six week detoxification program may be
recommended to those with a high level of chemical
exposure or who require additional liver support to
Specialised Chelation Detox:
An extended six week detoxification program to support
those exposed to heavy metals, such as lead, arsenic,
mercury, or cadmium. This program enhances the
removal of heavy metals.
To maintain your ongoing health you should always seek the
guidance of a qualified Healthcare Practitioner.
Example of foods on the detox program
organic tamari and garlic kebabs
• 180 g chicken cut into cubes
• 1 cup onion and green capsicum, cut into wedges
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons garlic, crushed
• Chilli to taste (optional)
• 3 tablespoons organic tamari
• Pinch salt
• Cracked black pepper
• Soak wooden skewers in water for ½ hour so they do not burn.
• Pierce the above ingredients onto the skewers.
• Mix garlic and organic tamari seasoning in a small bowl and brush kebabs with mixture.
• Grill under a medium heat until chicken is cooked through.
Tip: Serve with salad or vegetables to keep cold in fridge as a snack
What your Detox Day may look like
On waking 500mls of water – add lemon if you like
Breakfast - Green Smoothie
2 cups of baby spinach
1 kiwi fruit
½ pear diced
½ apple diced
4 tbsp. lemon juice
½ cup of coconut water – you can use flavoured if you wish
Method - Blend spinach with coconut water and lemon juice first then add fruit.
During the day drink at least 2 litres of water
Lunch - Detox Salad
• ¼ cup red cabbage
• 1 cup cooked organic chickpeas
• 1 cup organic baby spinach
• 1 cup mixed lettuce
• 1 cup of alfalfa sprouts
• ½ red capsicum
• ½ lebanese cucumber
• 1 bunch of brocollini
• ½ cup of cooked quinoa
• ½ cup grated carrot
• ¼ cup sunflower seeds
• ½ avocado
• Optional: grated beetroot, goat’s fetta, spring onions or other allowable foods.
• 1 cup of unhulled tahini
• ½ cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove
• Blend and add purified water until you get a runny consistency.
• Prepare ingredients and put in a mixing bowl.
• Prepare the dressing and add to the ingredients, mixing the dressing through.
Dinner - Stirfry with meat and vegetables – serves 1 ( Or you can have some more of the detox salad) !!
• Approximately 120g of allowable lean protein (fish, seafood, chicken, tofu)
• 1 ½ cups vegetables of your choice, finely sliced
• ½ tablespoon fresh finely sliced ginger
• ½ tablespoon minced garlic
• Fresh chilli or chilli paste (optional)
• Organic tamari or soy sauce (no added sugar)
• Squeeze of lime juice (optional)
• Heat oiled wok or frypan.
• Saute meat/tofu, garlic, and ginger in a little olive oil, chilli (optional) and organic tamari until cooked.
• Set to one side.
• Add firm vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and cook for two minutes.
• Add more watery vegetables such as spinach, capsicum, snow peas, mushrooms, Chinese
greens, etc. Return meat/tofu to stir-fry.
• Stir through organic tamari to taste.
• Serve immediately.
Garnish may include: coriander, bean sprouts, lime juice, sesame oil or chopped raw nuts.
Snacks and Drinks-
Herbal tea or Bambu coffee substitute (available in Coles or Woollies)
2 x thin Rice cakes with nut butter or avocado on them
Before Bed drink a least a glass of water… if you wake during the night have some sips of water as it will help the lethargy in the morning.